Friday, 29 July 2011

New Rug

There are some amazing examples of painted floors around the blogs at the moment - I love a project which is hand made, money saving and best of all, original. Have a look at this collection of examples: http://abodelove.blogspot.com/2010/09/perfect-pretty-painted-floors.html

I still love my polished porcelain floor tiles and the rest of the house is carpeted, but I have long been wanting a few rugs for the kitchen and the hallway. Inspired by examples like this one http://www.curbly.com/diy-maven/posts/1654-how-to-paint-an-indoor-outdoor-rug I decided to have a go at painting some carpet remnants. So here are the very simple stages of my new hallway runner

I cut a piece of carpet to size and decided that a bar code pattern would be easiest as a starting project. The lines were easy with masking tape. My floor tiles wipe clean so I didn't use anything to protect them, but obviously newspaper of a dust sheet underneath is needed if you are more careful than me.
Next step: paint! I used some old purple paint to co-ordinate with the walls in the hallway (officially the walls are 'mellow mocha' but they look a dusky purple in some lights, so purple accessories work well). The paint was luckily quite thin, but if it were any thicker then a thinner would be needed. If the paint is too thick it will gloop-up (not a technical term!) and look clumpy. A thin paint absorbs much better into the carpet. 

Give the paint a little while to dry - couple of hours, then peel away the masking tape and you should have some neat lines and a new rug. I left it outside on a warm day to fully dry - the very last thing you want are purple footprints through the house. If I were a perfectionist, I'd take this to a carpet shop and get them to edge it to finish it nicely, but to be honest, I'm very happy with it as it is.

This is the finished hallway. Skirtings have been painted (white gloss), walls painted (mellow mocha), purple lampshade and rug complete it nicely. I am enjoying cutting purple sweet peas from the garden this month to complete the look! Next month I am getting my Granny's telephone table (currently mahogany coloured wood with a green velvet cushion...a wee bitt 1970s for my taste) which I have big plans for, so the hall isn't quite finished yet. Watch this space. 

4 comments:

  1. Love this painted rug. I will be featuring it at my Sizzle into Summer party that opens tomorrow night at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete